Sunday, October 16, 2011

Of Latin incantations and the Nicene Creed



Today, my family and I attended the mass at "Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary" church at Sitio Gaboc, Manolo Fortich. The said mass served as a thanksgiving mass for the church's benefactors. Everything went the usual way except that, well uhm, the entirety of the mass was recited in (aww gaawd) LATIN ! It wasn't actually my first time to hear a mass in straight Latin, but still...





One thing that also caught my attention amid the mass was the recitation of the Nicene Creed. I kinda learned about what Nicene Creed is in one of our RS classes at school. This prayer is a modification of the Apostle's Creed and I never thought that this is still used today. I was just kind of amazed, that's all. :p (The mass booklets consisted of both the English and Latin versions of the Eucharistic rites but as you can see above, it's the English version which I managed to photograph.)

When the mass ended, I was still in a daze. Dazed from all the mind-boggling Latin prayers and utterances. Thank God I still can understand the word Amen which by all means kept me on track of the mass. :p


-amdg

No comments:

Post a Comment