Friday, November 5, 2010

Dora the explorer meets Herald the grown-up whiner


Can we truly consider DORA as an explorer? Fearless and fierce? I mean, if she’s really an explorer, then I’m sure she’s the lamest in the roster.

Okay, I know I’m just being too hypocritical and a whiner here, but probably brought about by the deficiency of topics to write about, poor Dora has now just become my victim to be subjected into my unnecessary scrutiny.

This morning I happened to watch a complete episode of DORA The Explorer (Tagalog version) aired on ABS-CBN simply because I have no other resort to placate my boredom.

Annoyed with its infantile script (all in poor Tagalog translations) and almost nonsensical storyline, I suddenly muttered to myself:


“Oh, Dora! When will you ever grow up and learn to decide for yourself? You’re supposed to be a valiant, fearless ‘explorer’ bound to overcome all odds with your instincts and sense of independence, not a little princess who is still baby-sat at age what, 8 or 9, and who is accompanied by an equally stupid monkey!”

Yeah. I know it’s only an animated show for kids. So why am I so affected with its stupidity? That I am not sure of!

* thinking *

Well, how about this? Maybe... maybe it’s just that I’ve grown more MATURE (oh really?). Precisely! That explains it! That explains why I can’t stoop to Dora’s level without being uncomfortable. It's like this. An adult, or let's say someone who has a more matured thinking, should get irked with childish things. Little girl crying over her broken doll. Little boy endlessly bugging his mother to buy him a new toy. Quite irksome!

And since I've grown more mature now, it goes without saying that I, too, should also be irritated with her-- with her stupidity I couldn't comprehend and with her big head!

That’s it! Dora’s just a kid who still needs to perch herself in a safe environment to gain security and comfort. Dora is just a child whose hands are still tightly clutched on the railings in order not to fall. Dora is an explorer in her own little world of fantasies. She needs Boots and the audience to decide for her.

But I ain’t like Dora. I just happen to live in the REALITY. A reality which can be fierce and unforgiving at times. A real world with real characters and real experiences. A reality which has now made me more mature and grown-up in the way I view life. In my world, I’ve learned--and still am learning--to be wise with and responsible for my decisions... decisions and their consequences that no one but myself could be held accountable for.

***

Geez! I owe you one Dora for unexpectedly giving me a whole new spectrum of understanding about reality and maturity. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment