Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Totong and his Valedictory speech

Delivered: 03/29/10, around 10AM @ MFNHS Gym

High School Graduation was once just a dream. Now that it is becoming real in front of my very eyes, I wish I never had longed for this day; because bidding goodbye to what we have we have gotten used to is unbearably painful. But go we must, for we know that the journey has not yet ended.

Today, our journey takes a pause, as we, the jubilant passengers of this voyage now take some rest. I intend to say this journey to take a pause, and not a full stop, for we all know that Graduation Day is not the end of our story; that this day means something more than the thought of finishing the painstaking four years of high school; and that this day is just another significant milestone of our lives which opens the door towards the wider horizons of greater opportunities waiting ahead.

Someday it’s gonna make sense,” as one line of our graduation song says. This bespeaks the essence of what we have gathered for at this very moment.
Fellow graduates, we have now finally arrived at the sweetest and most rewarding point of our journey in high school. We are now claiming the moment to rest which we rightfully deserve after four years of hard work and sacrifices in facing and dealing with the innumerable demands of our secondary education. Along with this, I also take pleasure in saying that at this very moment, we not only reap the fruits of our labors and sacrifices, but we also savor the great fulfillment and joy of having been able to make it to the finish line.

To be given the opportunity to speak on behalf of the graduating class, batch 2009-2010 as the class Valedictorian, is a thing that still overwhelms me so much. Even now, the thought of it still triggers my legs and my knees to tremble, not because the information to carry out this task came as a surprise; but rather, because I feel myself to be unworthy of standing on this pedestal and delivering this Valedictory Speech; for I know that many can replace me here, and many could have done far better than what I have done.

But somehow, the four years of my incessant toil and patience in high school has taught me that it was never a question of whether you would march on stage as the Valedictorian or not - but a question of whether you have done your best in this venture or just have played around with the four straight years that passed. It was never a question of how great you were in the four years of your stay in high school, but how those four years have become great and meaningful as you lived in them.

In my part, I learned to put life and meaning to my high school years by expressing my overwhelming gratitude to the persons behind my success. It took me years to realize that any achievement in life would remain as dull as defeat if one doesn’t know how to share them. And I think this piece of speech would not be enough to contain the ever-outpouring thanks I have for everybody who stood by me as I worked for my aspirations, and subsequently conquered my dreams.

As an outset, I would like to thank my teachers and mentors here in Manolo Fortich National High School, my ever so beloved and cherished alma mater, who did not only impart me with the educational armaments in training for life, but have as well molded me into a morally upright individual. I will always be indebted to my advisers from first year to fourth year: Mrs. Lani R. Ua-o, Mr. John O. Urbina, Mrs. Nora S. Gumahin and Ms. Methuselah K. Arenas, whose patience and commitment to teach remain unparalleled as they stood as my second parents in school. I cannot dare forget also my subject teachers from first year up to now in fourth year, whose figures will always have my salute and respect, as they have been the instruments in broadening my knowledge as I take up my secondary education. These great educators have immensely contributed to what I have now become, a student whom they can be proud of. As I speak in behalf of every graduate, a million thanks to you our dear advisers and teachers for freeing us from the realm of ignorance. Thank you!

I also would like to take this rare opportunity to express how thankful I am to God for sending me angels in disguise in the persons of my friends and classmates who have accompanied me in my entire sojourn in high school. My friends, classmates and schoolmates, who have been the set of crayons in my dull school life, brightening up the years of our togetherness and bonding: my first year Aquarian classmates, the second year Sampaguettes barkadahan, the wild Shakespeareans team and now reaching fourth year, the Albert Einsteinerz and most specially to what we have unofficially considered as the fourth law of motion, the fourth year ISATONIX--my bundle of diverse yet united friends who have kept me inspired as I went through my school life. Not long now, we will part ways and go to college, but there is one thing that will surely attach us together no matter how far we may wander apart– and that is the friendship we have strongly established in high school. And all the memories we have fabricated, all the tears and laughter we shared, the memorable times of laag2x, jurag2x, mga kabuang, and all the experiences we had, will be treasured like gems in the vintage chest of our memories.

To my family, I will eternally be grateful for the gracious support, guidance, and love that you have unconditionally provided, as I take head on in this journey. Together with my supportive relatives, you all have become my driving force, my inspiration, for me to exceed beyond my limits, to take greater heights and to achieve all that there is to be achieved. Thus, it is just but right that I dedicate all my accomplishments to you, since honestly, I would be nothing if you were not there, to tap my shoulder and remind me that I am more than what I can be, and that I can be the best among the rest. Thank you so much for letting me experience what it is like to be going to school, and eventually be educated. A big fraction of my life will never stop thanking you, as I will now be heading to the uncertain world of reality.

Above all, I want to thank Him for definitely showering me with all the blessings in heaven – for the strength which allowed me to push through, for the patience which made me learn to make sacrifices in many aspects of life, and for letting the paths of those crucial persons who helped me overcome the odds to coincide with mine. In this day, we praise and glorify our most powerful and benevolent God as He makes our paths always level and victorious, leading us right now to our Graduation Day. And for His glory, we are now chins up, proud and glad, to march on stage and take our diplomas.

In the end, the road to El Dorado has not been easy. It was never been a promise of a bed of roses. Nevertheless, behind all the hurdles that barred us in getting through, we still have made it today. Yes! There may have been times when we felt uncertain of ourselves; when we were so tired of going to school; when we got trapped in studying our lessons and making our assignments or projects; when we were sandwiched between our financial and family problems; when we couldn’t help but think of quitting; when all of our strengths have been totally drained and our spirits have gone low; when our days have gone dim and our hopes faded – but – fellow graduates, let us think of now, and observe our cheerful surroundings, and there look at the happy faces of our fellow graduates, the genuine, wide smiles of our mentors, and the proud, inexorably joyful looks of our parents.

Today we take a brief halt. Today we harvest our yield out of the four years of working so hard in high school. Today we cross another threshold of life and unfold history, as we challenge ourselves to create our own. Let us all be glad. Today is indeed your day. Our day. Our GRADUATION DAY. The mark of what we have become. The happy ending of our high school tale. The moment when all things, both the little and the great, have finally made sense.

Someday it’s gonna make sense so the song says, and that someday... begins today. =)
Thank you.








TTT.TTT

1 comment:

  1. after how many years have past, i still feel nostalgic of this speech. thank you for showing me what is success. keep the fire burning...am proud of u.

    ReplyDelete