Tuesday, April 27, 2010

'Dear John': The Magic of Letters



What would you do with a letter that changed everything?
As of this writing, I would have already watched ‘Dear John’ twice. But no matter how I think my taste would have changed this time, I was still utterly certain of one thing: it was mesmerizing, as ever. Even if I’d watch it over and over again, I know I wouldn’t get tired of it.
Well, I guess I have no right to be obsessed with his works since honestly, I never had read any of Nicholas Sparks’ novels. I’ve always seen only the cover of his books in the bookstores but I really didn’t get the chance to read though their pages. I have to admit that I’m not that really much of a bookworm. I get easily tired of reading verbatim, and I’d rather watch it on actual, on movies.
Well anyways, I am writing this article to express my praises for the movie ‘Dear John’. It magically hooked my being. Watching it on the TV’s screen was not far different from being on the story itself. I was really ‘into’ it. I was caught on it. I was all but loving ‘Dear John’.
Okay. So ‘Dear John’ is starred by Channing Tatum, who was playing as the main male protagonist ‘John’, and Amanda Seyfried, who was breathing life to the character of ‘Savannah’. Since I am not that good in storytelling, I guess it would be better if I leave things vague, and not narrating the entire story detail by detail. But I wonder… how would I let this article end on such a way? Well now, I guess you really have to watch the movie for yourselves. Probably because of how deeply it penetrated down on me, I simply cannot pour down into writing my brimming love and praises for ‘Dear John’.
Nonetheless, as a generalized introduction, the story somehow revolved around writing, sending, receiving, then finally reading ‘letters’. Yes. LETTERS!
But before the ‘letters’ stuff, John met Savannah in the beach near their respective homes. The movie opens with John, surf boarding through the waves; when Savannah enters the scene accompanied by her friends. A friend of Savannah accidentally dropped Savannah’s bag into the waters. John sees it, and immediately, he expertly dives into the sea to retrieve Savannah’s bag. Right after rescuing Savannah’s precious bag from sinking into the sea, John reluctantly returned it to her. Savannah was very grateful to him, saying that she greatly owed him. And from there on, their romance blossomed, growing profusely within just two weeks, before John returns to the Army while Savannah back to school.
That’s all it took them. Two weeks. And they easily fell in love with each other. It seemed very short from a normal perspective, but a lot of things had happened within such duration. John met Tim, the fatherly-figure in Savannah’s life; Savannah met John’s dad; John got to help Savannah rebuilding their devastated house; et cetera, et cetera. It would be a very long list to elaborate them all.
Well, you see, since John was assigned in the US Army - Special Forces, he needed to be far away from Savannah most of the time. And as their two weeks of being together comes to end, before John flies back to the Army, he wrote a tattered letter for Savannah. It wasn’t an official letter, but it gave Savannah some good idea. She then made John promise her to make her know of everything that was happening to him while he was away. She told John to scribble down every detail of his life in letters. In this way, no matter how far they were from each other, it seemed to bridge their lives together. COMMUNICATION. It was what the letters would be for. To let both of them know what’s going on with each other. So that somehow, they’ll be connected.

BUT FOR HOW LONG?
Were the letters enough to keep the relationship going? Well, that’s how it would lead the story to a lot of twists. Through the letters they wrote for each other, the story progresses. Through the letters they sent and received, both lives will be changed.
***This is all where the magic is. In the LETTERS. And personally, I was always greatly carried away by the magic. ‘Dear John’ meets my heart in a close-up.
What would you do with a letter that changed everything? For me? I surely will take chances. I’ll certainly respond to it, as long as I would be happy with such life-changing endeavor.
Well, I know I wouldn’t be able to end this article in a good way, partly because I don’t know the exact words to say, and partly because I am so much ‘into’ it that I don’t even know how to start and how to end praising such great movie. But anyhow, ‘Dear John’, on my intuitive perception, is definitely more than a STORY itself, it got its own life. It reveals a LIFE in the letters. And there’s the magic of LOVE, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment